Advertiser Disclosure: Some of the card links and products that appear on this website are from companies which AskSebby may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. You don't have to use our links, but we're grateful when you do! View our Advertising Policy .The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of our partner offers may have expired.
The Citi Trifecta is a credit card setup that is often overlooked but can be highly effective for those with moderate spending habits who prefer a straightforward approach. If you want a credit card strategy that allows you to focus on your life rather than complicated rewards schemes, the Citi Trifecta is for you.
Citi Trifecta Basics
The Citi Trifecta is a credit card setup that involves three Citi credit cards to maximize rewards o your everyday spending. This includes the Citi Double Cash Card®, Citi Premier, and the Citi Custom Cash® Card.
With Citi, each card fills a specific role, unlike the Chase setup. It's highly efficient and also a lot easier to use.
Citi Double Cash Card®
The Citi Double Cash Card® is probably the most straightforward card available. It has no annual fee, and you get 2% cash back for all of your purchases – 1% when you spend and 1% when you pay off the card.
This card's main drawback is the foreign transaction fees. However, this card is the gold standard for cashback everywhere.
Citi Premier® Card
This is going to be your workhorse and primary earner for your large spending categories. With the Citi Premier® Card, you’ll get 3x points at:
- Gas stations
- Air Travel
In addition to everyday point multipliers, there is a $100 annual hotel savings credit. Get $100 off a single hotel stay of $500+, excluding taxes and fees, when you book through thankyou.com. This credit is only valid once per calendar year.
Citi Custom Cash® Card
The Citi Custom Cash® Card offers a unique feature in which you can choose your top eligible spending category each month to earn 5% cashback on, up to a maximum of $500 spent per month. The 5% eligible categories include:
- Gas stations
- Grocery stores
- Select travel
- Select transit
- Select streaming services
- Home improvement stores
- Fitness clubs
- Live entertainment
It's best to use this card for just one category where you spend the most money, and that is not covered by the Premier or another spot card.
Bonus: Citi Rewards+® Card
The best thing about this setup is that you can transfer your points to Citi's partners. But if you want to make the points even stronger, you can add another card. In this case, I'd pick the Citi Rewards+® Card. This card rounds up your points on every purchase to the nearest 10 points. Plus, you get 10% back on the first 100,000 points you redeem.
What are the Major Pros and Cons of The Citi Trifecta?
- It allows one of the best 2% everywhere cards to ascend.
- Reliable setup
- It does not require getting a business card in order to get the multipliers for gas. For other setups, you generally do need a business card to earn transferable points.
- The categories are not capped outside of the custom cash, and it works for people outside of the U.S.
- There are no airport lounge benefits. There's no Priority Pass membership, and your only ways of getting in are either paying or having Elite status.
- Lack of travel and other protections such as travel protections or primary CDWs.
- You need to add other cards to squeeze more cash back or more value.
- Other setups might be cheaper if you don't mind hoop-jumping for credits and you actively use them.
To learn more about how you can leverage this setup, watch this video: