Advertiser Disclosure: Some of the card links and products that appear on this website are from companies which AskSebby may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. You don't have to use our links, but we're grateful when you do! View our Advertising Policy .The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of our partner offers may have expired.
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ earns 5% cash back on rotating categories, 3% on dining at restaurants, 3% on drugstores, and more.
- Earn 5% cash back on rotating categories each quarter you activate, up to $1,500 in combined purchases
- 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3% on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- 3% on drugstore purchases
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
Foreign transaction fees: 3%
Who Qualifies for the Chase Freedom Flex?
The Chase Freedom Flex falls under the unofficial “Chase 5/24 rule” which states that if you have opened 5 or more personal credit cards or charge cards from any credit issuer, you will automatically get denied.
Again, personal credit cards only — mortgages, auto loans, student loans, etc. do not apply to Chase 5/24.
You cannot have more than one Chase Freedom Flex credit card.
Starting on September 14, the Chase Freedom will no longer be available to new customers. Existing cardholders can choose to keep their current card or request a product change to the new Freedom Flex.
The Chase Freedom Flex is considered a different product from the Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited cards, so it is possible to hold all three.
Additional Card Benefits
Earn 5% cash back on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s an additional 4% additional cash back — 1% on “all other purchases,” plus the added 4%.
DoorDash: 3 Months of DashPass
Get a complimentary 3 months of DashPass. After that, you are automatically enrolled in DashPass at 50% off for the next 9 months. Must activate by December 31, 2021. You are free to cancel after the complimentary 3 month period.
- $0 delivery fee on DoorDash orders over $12 (other fees may apply).
- Membership is typically $9.99/month, and you can cancel at any time.
Cell Phone Protection via Mastercard
Get up to $800 per claim and $1,000 per year in cell phone protection against covered theft or damage for phones listed on your monthly cell phone bill when you pay with your eligible credit card.
- Maximum of 2 claims in a 12 month period
- $50 deductible per claim
Your new purchases are covered for 120 days against damage or theft, up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account when you pay with the Chase Freedom Flex. Terms apply.
Extended Warranty Protection
Extends the U.S. manufacture’s warranty by an additional year, on eligible warranties of three years or less. Terms apply.
Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
Secondary collision damage waiver coverage when you decline the rental company’s CDW and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is provided for theft and collision damage for most cars in the U.S. and abroad.
Note: Collision damage waiver is not the same as liability insurance. CDW protects the car, and not any damage you do to a third party.
Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance
If your trip is cut short by sickness, severe weather, and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $1,500 per person and $6,000 per trip for pre-paid, non-refundable passenger fares. Terms apply.
Travel and Emergency Assistance Services
The Benefits Administrator can help refer you to legal, medical, and other travel emergency services if you run into a problem away from home. You will be responsible for the cost of any goods or services obtained.
How to Use Chase Freedom Flex points?
The Chase Freedom Flex is marketed as cash back, but it earns Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
Points earned on the Chase Freedom Flex can be redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards. It’s confirmed that you can pool points to the Sapphire cards for higher travel redemption.
Current options on the Chase marketing site are:
- Gift card redemption
- Cash back or statement credit to your account
- Partner brands via checkout if applicable
- By purchasing travel with rewards through Ultimate Rewards
Can you get the a welcome bonus for the Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Flex?
- Yes, if you have a Chase Freedom card, you are still eligible to get a bonus for the Chase Freedom Flex.
- You could apply for the Chase Freedom before Sept 14, get the intro bonus, and then apply for the Flex for an additional bonus in the future.
Will you get a bonus when you product change the Chase Freedom to the Chase Freedom Flex?
- No, you do NOT receive a bonus when you product change.
Will product changing a Chase Freedom to the Chase Freedom Flex result in a hard inquiry? How does it impact my 5/24 status?
- No, when you do a product change, it is the same exact account, but you will be issued a different account number. This is possibly because it is a Visa changing to a Mastercard.
- No impact to 5/24 since it’s the same account.
Can you have both the Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Flex cards?
- Yes, they are two different products.
Does the Chase Freedom Flex work with Mobile Wallets?
- No, I called Chase for a product change the representative mentioned that the Chase Freedom Flex card will not be available in mobile wallets at this time.
Can you product change the Chase Sapphire Preferred (or any other Chase card) to a Chase Freedom Flex?
- Yes, you can product change any personal Ultimate Rewards earning card to the Chase Freedom Flex.
What’s the best Chase Freedom + Chase Freedom Flex strategy?
- It really depends on how many Chase slots you have left, and what you’re trying to optimize for. More info in this video: https://youtu.be/oERS17ANU38
Will the 5% bonus categories be different for the Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Flex?
- No, they are exactly the same categories.
Which card is better — the Chase Freedom Flex or Chase Freedom Unlimited?
- Mainly depends on your spending habits. Some people love 5% rotating categories, others might hate it.
What’s going to happen to the Chase Sapphire cards?
- Revamp possible; crystal ball at this point.
Can you product change to a Chase Freedom from a Chase Freedom Unlimited before they discontinue the Chase Freedom on September 13?
- Yes. If this is your game plan, do it ASAP.
If you receive a welcome bonus from the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, etc., will you be eligible for the Chase Freedom Flex bonus?
- Yes, it is a completely separate product.