Advertiser Disclosure: Some of the card links and products that appear on this website are from companies which AskSebby may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. You don't have to use our links, but we're grateful when you do! View our Advertising Policy .The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of our partner offers may have expired.
Aeroplan, Air Canada's rewards program, has a longtime relationship with Chase. However, in December 2021, the two collaborated to launch a completely new Chase Aeroplan credit card.
Even if you don't fly with Air Canada on a regular basis, this card makes it easy for you to earn flights to practically anywhere in the United States or across the world.
The mix of rewards, perks, and a lucrative intro bonus make this card one that every smart traveler should be aware of. Continue reading for the scoop on the new Chase Aeroplan credit card.
Aeroplan® Credit Card Key Features
- Earn 3x points for each dollar spent on grocery stores.
- Earn 3x points for each dollar spent on dining at restaurants including takeout and eligible delivery services.
- Earn 3x points for each dollar spent directly with Air Canada.
- Earn 1x points for each dollar spent on all other purchases
- Earn 500 bonus points for every $2,000 you spend every calendar month
- 25K Elite Status
- 24/7 Concierge
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® or NEXUS Fee Credit
- Every Seat, Every Flight, No Restrictions
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Free First Checked Bags
- Every Seat, Every Flight, No Restrictions
- Preferred Pricing
- Fraud Alerts
- Zero Liability Protection
- Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance
- Baggage Delay Insurance
- Trip Delay Reimbursement
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
- Roadside Assistance
- Purchase Protection
We’ll dig into the fine details of these benefits below.
Aeroplan® Credit Card: Perks
Automatic 25K Elite Status for New Cardmembers
As a new cardholder, you will automatically receive the Aeroplan 25K Elite Status. This benefit is available for the calendar year in which you open your account as well as the following calendar year. If you fly with Air Canada, the perks of this status level might make your flight more pleasurable. Among the most exciting ones are:
- 20 eUpgrade credits
- 50% discount on preferred seats
- Two one-time-use Maple Leaf Lounge passes
- Two complimentary checked bags
- Priority seat selection, check-in, and boarding
Earn up to 3 points per $1 spent in multiple spending categories
This card allows you to earn points for spending in many categories, allowing you to optimize your earning potential. These categories include:
- 3 points per $1 on grocery purchases
- 3 points per $1 on dining (including takeout and delivery)
- 3 points per $1 on purchases made directly with Air Canada
- 1 point per $1 on everything else
Get 500 points for every $2,000 spent on purchases each month
A spending bonus is also available with the Chase Aeroplan® Credit Card. You may earn 500 bonus points for every $2,000 spent in a calendar month, up to a maximum of 1,500 bonus points every month.
Free first checked bag benefits
This credit card also comes with checked bag benefits. As the primary cardholder, you and up to eight companions flying on the same itinerary can carry one free first checked bag on Air Canada flights. While the Elite Status you'll receive as a new cardmember enables you to two free checked bags, this is a wonderful perk if you regularly fly with others.
$100 statement credit for Global Entry, TSA PreCheck®, or NEXUS
Statement credits for particular expedited travel programs are now included with many travel credit cards and so is with the Chase Aeroplan® Credit Card.
With this card, you may receive up to $100 in statement credit as reimbursement for the Global Entry, TSA PreCheck®, or NEXUS application fee. This perk is only available every four years. So if you want to take advantage of it, you must use this card to pay the application fee.
Travel protection and Insurance
This travel card comes with the following useful travel protection perks:
- Baggage delay insurance
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance
- Trip delay reimbursement
- Auto rental collision damage waiver
- Roadside assistance
- Purchase Protection
Most travel credit cards at this price point provide comparable bonuses, which you may find useful if you run into problems on your travels.
Air Canada & Other Travel Related Perks
- Zero Liability Protection: You won’t have to pay for any unauthorized charges on this account, as you would with any other credit card. Simply call Chase, and they will remove any fraudulent transactions from your account.
- Contactless Payments: The tap-to-pay function is now available on the new Aeroplan credit cards, eliminating the need to swipe or dip at checkout.
- 24/7 Concierge: Call in for a concierge service that is available 24/7 to assist you with tickets, reservations, and other transactions. The concierge can assist you with researching and booking the best hotel, or the lowest-cost ticket, among other things. They may even be able to secure you a table at a hard-to-reserve restaurant or tickets to a popular concert.
- No Restriction Rewards: Aeroplan reward tickets are not time-limited. On every flight, you can reserve any available seat. It's available for points if it's available for cash.
- Preferred Pricing: When booking a reward flight directly with the airline, cardmembers get access to low - cost preferred pricing that is not available to the general public. Whether you're flying to Canada or changing in Canada on your route to another country, those savings may add up.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: There are no foreign transaction fees when you use this card to make purchases overseas. Cards with this fee charge around 3% for each international purchases. If you want to use this card overseas, this benefit can save you money.
Redeeming Aeroplan Points
The ease with which you can redeem your Aeroplan points can help you determine whether the Chase Aeroplan® Credit Card is worth it.
The following are some of the great ways to use Air Canada Aeroplan points.
Air Canada Award Flights
Air Canada's one-way routes begin at 6,000 points. These flights also do not have cash surcharges (partner flights have a $39 fee).
You can also purchase flights with Star Alliance partners such as United Airlines.
Economy class trips within North America that are 500 points or shorter require only 6,000 points plus a $39 fee.
For flights of at least 2,751 points, your maximum costs are 22,500 points for economy and 35,000 points for business class.
These partner flights may be less expensive than booking Air Canada tickets.
If you want to learn more on how to use your Aeroplan points and optimize your spending with the Chase Aeroplan Credit Card, watch this video: