Advertiser Disclosure: Some of the card links and products that appear on this website are from companies which AskSebby may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. You don't have to use our links, but we're grateful when you do! View our Advertising Policy .The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of our partner offers may have expired.
The American Express® Green Card was revamped in October 2019 to offer competitive multipliers on travel and restaurants worldwide. In addition to adding more benefits, the card’s annual fee was increased from $95 to $150.
Is the American Express® Green Card worth the $150 annual fee?
American Express® Green Card calculator
Ask Sebby crunches the numbers for you to calculate the Expected Value of the American Express® Green Card. For the expected value of points, we derive the approximate dollar value based on the numbers you enter in the calculator. Scroll down to the end of the post to see our methodology.
The calculator below contains default figures and serve as an example only. Users should insert their own data for the most accurate results.
Intro Bonus and Eligibility
American Express has a “once in a lifetime” intro bonus rule. To qualify for this offer, you must not currently have the card and/or have received a previous American Express® Green welcome offer.
In October 2019, the American Express® Green was revamped to add travel spend multipliers and credits from Amex travel partners like LoungeBuddy and CLEAR.
If you previously received a bonus from the Amex Green, you do not qualify for a welcome offer. “New” Amex Green cards from before the revamp fall into this bucket.
If you attempt to apply and you are greeted with a pop-up that says you aren’t eligible for the welcome offer, then you will not receive one.
The results from the above calculator are based on your ability to reach the minimum spend requirement to earn the intro bonus, your amount of spend on different categories, how you plan to redeem American Express Membership Rewards, and how much relative value you assign to the other benefits.
The “Years” referenced in the calculator refer to the cardmember year, based on when you are approved for the card.
- Year 1 = first 12 months of card membership
- Year X = any year after the first 12 months of card membership
American Express® Green Card
- 3X points on travel including flights, hotels, transit, taxis, and ridesharing services
- 3X points at restaurants worldwide
- 1X points on all other purchases
- CLEAR membership: Up to $100 per the calendar year in statement credits, when you pay for your CLEAR membership with the Amex Green Card
- LoungeBuddy: Up to $100 in statement credits per the calendar year
- No foreign transaction fees
- Terms apply
“Is the Amex Green Card Metal?”
The revamped American Express Green Card is made primarily from plastic reclaimed from beaches, islands, and coastal communities.
The eco-friendly makeover comes from their new partnership with Parley for the Oceans to end the fast-growing threat of marine plastic pollution.
3X on Travel
Unlike the American Express Gold Card and The Platinum Card from American Express, the travel purchases on the Green card cover a wide range of purchases.
Amex Green Eligible Travel Purchases:
- car rentals
- rideshare services
- purchases on third party travel websites
Purchases of timeshare properties are excluded from earning 3X points.
3X at Restaurants Worldwide
Earn unlimited 3X at restaurants worldwide with the Amex Green Card. To qualify as a restaurant purchase, the merchant must code as a restaurant.
You may not earn 3X on purchases from a restaurant located within another establishment. For example, restaurants located inside a hotel, casino, or event venue may not qualify.
A purchase also may not qualify if payment is made through a third-party payment account or an online marketplace (with multiple retailers).
In early 2019, American Express acquired LoungeBuddy, a digital platform that enables travelers to purchase access to select lounges. The Amex Green Card earns up to $100 in LoungeBuddy statement credits per the calendar year.
Purchases from the primary cardholder, as well as any additional authorized users, qualify for the credit. The total amount of statement credits for eligible purchases is only $100 per Card Account per the calendar year; you do not receive additional credits for each additional user.
The eligible Amex Green Card must be in good standing and open to qualify for the statement credits. Statement credits are void when you cancel the card.
$100 Clear Credit
CLEAR is a service that uses your biometrics (eyes and fingerprints) to confirm your identity and allows you to bypass the travel document checker at security checkpoints.
Get through airport security faster with a $100 CLEAR statement credit per the calendar year. CLEAR is only available at select airports and security checkpoints. Check if your home airport is part of CLEAR: www.clearme.com
In addition to using CLEAR at airports, you can use the service at select arenas and stadiums, select Hertz Fastlane locations, and more.
American Express Travel Benefits
The Amex Green Card comes with a handful of other travel benefits like baggage insurance and global assist hotline. Depending on the cards you have in your wallet, these benefits might not matter if they overlap.
Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance
- Get secondary coverage (does not include liability coverage) when you pay for the entire vehicle rental, and decline the collision damage waiver at the car rental counter.
- Not all vehicle types are covered. Coverage is not available for vehicles rented in Australia, Italy, and New Zealand.
- Check the Amex Green Card benefits guide for full terms and details.
Baggage Insurance Plan
- Coverage for lost, damaged, or stolen baggage when you purchase the entire fare for a Common Carrier ticket (i.e., plane, train, ship, or bus).
- Coverage is up to $1,250 for carry-on baggage and up to $500 for checked baggage.
- New York state residents: $10,000 aggregate maximum limit for all covered persons per trip
- Terms and restrictions apply.
Global Assist Hotline
- 24/7 emergency assistance and coordination services, including medical, legal, and passport referrals, emergency cash wires, and missing luggage assistance.
- Cardmember is responsible for any costs charged by third-party providers.
- Valid when you travel more than 100 miles away from home.
- Terms and restrictions apply.
All information about the American Express Green Card have been collected independently by AskSebby and has not been reviewed by the issuer.