Advertiser Disclosure: Some of the card links and products that appear on this website are from companies which AskSebby may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. You don't have to use our links, but we're grateful when you do! View our Advertising Policy .The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of our partner offers may have expired.
The Citi Premier® Card is comparable to the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card since it earns points on travel and dining. This might be a good option if you're in the mid or late-game and looking for new cards.
Intro Bonus and Eligibility
Citi Bank has a rule that states you cannot receive an intro bonus from a card if you received a bonus from Citi within the past 24 months. It's hard to accumulate a lot of ThankYou points due to the intro bonus rule.
The Citi 24-month rule applies to the Citi Premier Card. You aren't eligible for a ThankYou point intro bonus if:
- You received a new intro bonus for the Citi Rewards+®, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier® or Citi Prestige® cards.
- You had Citi Rewards+®, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier® or Citi Prestige® Cards that was opened OR closed* in the past 24 months.
*product changes sometimes affect this as well; usually, if your card number changes
Citi Premier® Card Calculator
Ask Sebby crunches the numbers for you to calculate the Expected Value of the Citi Premier® Card. For the expected value of points, we derive the approximate dollar value based on the numbers you enter in the calculator. Scroll down to the end of the post to see our methodology.
The calculator below contains default figures and serve as an example only. Users should insert their own data for the most accurate results.
The results from the above calculator are based on your ability to reach the minimum spend requirement to earn the welcome offer, your amount of spend on different categories, how you plan to redeem ThankYou point, and how much relative value you assign to the other benefits.
The “Years” referenced in the calculator refer to the cardmember year, based on when you are approved for the card.
- Year 1 = first 12 months of card membership
- Year 2 = the following 12 months afterward
Citi Premier® Card
- Earn 3X points on air travel and hotels
- 3X points at restaurants
- 3X points at gas stations
- 3X points at supermarkets
- 1X points on all other purchases
- $100 Annual hotel savings benefit
- Access to airline transfer partners
- No foreign transaction fees
$100 Annual Hotel Savings Benefit
Get $100 off a single hotel stay of $500+, excluding taxes and fees, per calendar year. Hotel reservation must be booked through thankyou.com or 1-800-THANKYOU. TTY: Use 711 or Other Relay Service.
What are Citi ThankYou points worth?
The value of Citi ThankYou points depends on how you plan to redeem them.
- 1 Cents Per Point (CPP) = statement credit
- 1.25 CPP = airfare via Citi Travel Portal
- 2+ CPP = transfer partners
Citi allows you to transfer points to partners, generally at a 1:1 rate.
This usually yields substantial value for first and business class flights (and other aspirational redemptions).
Current Citi Transfer Partners
Transfer ThankYou points to these airlines at a 1:1 rate:
- Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
- Avianca LifeMiles
- Emirates Skywards
- EVA Air
- Flying Blue (Air France / KLM)
- Qatar Airways
- Singapore Airlines
- Thai Airways
- Turkish Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
Travel and Purchase Protections
In 2019, Citi removed almost ALL key benefits from their credit cards. Be sure to check your Citi card benefits guide to see the most up to date information on the changes.
Benefits Removed on ALL Citi Credit Cards (Effective 2019)
- Worldwide Car Rental Insurance
- Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection
- Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance
- Citi® Price Rewind
- 90 Day Return Protection
- Trip Delay Protection
- Baggage Delay Protection
- Lost Baggage Protection
- Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service
- Travel & Emergency Assistance
- Medical Evacuation
- Missed Event Ticket Protection
Limited Benefits Still Remaining on Citi Credit Cards
- Extended Warranty**
- Purchase protection**
- Cell phone protection on the Citi Prestige
**EXCLUDES the Citi Double Cash and Citi Dividend cards
Again, be sure to check the card benefits guide to see the terms and conditions for each remaining benefit.