Advertiser Disclosure: Some of the card links and products that appear on this website are from companies which AskSebby may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. You don't have to use our links, but we're grateful when you do! View our Advertising Policy .The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of our partner offers may have expired.
On Feb 13, 2019, Marriott refreshed the Amex SPG Luxury card to the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card. The card comes with a handful of benefits like a free anniversary night and Platinum Elite status. Is the card right for you?
- Up to $300 in statement credits per calendar year (up to $25 per month) for eligible purchases at restaurants worldwide.
- Free night award (worth up to 85,000 points) each card account anniversary. Expires 12 months from issuance, and the stay must occur before the certificate expires.
- Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status
- Earn 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- Earn 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at Worldwide Restaurants
- Earn 3X Marriott Bonvoy points on flights booked directly with airlines
- Earn 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other purchases
- Unlimited airport lounge access via Priority Pass Select (enrollment required)
- Visits for you and up to two guests per visit
- Up to $100 Luxury Property Credit at The Ritz-Carlton® or St. Regis® when you book direct using a special rate for a two-night minimum stay using your Card.
- Cell phone protection
- 25 Elite Night Credits toward the next level of Marriott Bonvoy Elite status each calendar year. Limit is per Marriott Bonvoy member account.
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® credit (every 4 years)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Terms apply.
Welcome Offer and Eligibility
There are a few application rules to be aware of for the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card:
- Amex “Once in a Lifetime” Rule: If you have/had the Amex SPG Luxury (it’s effectively the same card), you will not qualify for the welcome offer.
- The “One Lane Rule” applies to all of the refreshed Marriott Bonvoy cards. You won’t qualify for a welcome offer if:
- Have/had in last 30 days = Chase Ritz-Carlton
- Added in the last 90 days = * Chase 6 card list
- Welcome / upgrade bonus last 24 months = * Chase 6 card list
* Chase 6 card list:
- Marriott Bonvoy Premier + Marriott Bonvoy Boundless
- Marriott Bonvoy Premier + Marriott Rewards Premier Plus
- Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business + Marriott Bonvoy Premier Business
What are Marriott Bonvoy Points Worth?
The expected value of Marriott Bonvoy points depends on how you plan to redeem them. Points can be redeemed towards hotel stays or transfer to airline partners.
Marriott Bonvoy Points Valuation: Airlines
The airline transfer rate for Marriott Bonvoy points is 60,000 Bonvoy points to 25,000 airline points.
- Marriott Bonvoy transfer rate: 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points = 25,000 airline points
The best airline transfer partners (to me) are ones you can’t earn points for:
- Korean Air
- Japan Airlines (JAL)
- Alaska Airlines
To maximize the value of points, the optimal strategy would be to redeem points for business or first class flights on the above partner airlines.
Marriott Bonvoy Points Valuation: Hotels
The point valuation for hotels will be different for everyone because it depends on where you plan to redeem them.
View the Marriott redemption chart here: https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change
Hotel Point Valuation Formula:
- Total cost (with taxes) / total points = cents per point
2 night example:
= 2 nights * $500 / 2 nights * 50k Bonvoy
= $1,000 / 100k Bonvoy
= 0.01 * 100 = 1 CPP
5th night free example:
= 5 nights * $500 / 200k Bonvoy
= $2,500 / 200k = 1.25 CPP
Where To Redeem the Free Night Award
Cardmembers will receive a free night award on their account anniversary. The free night award can be redeemed on properties worth up to 50,000 points.
View the Marriott properties here: https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change