Advertiser Disclosure: Some of the card links and products that appear on this website are from companies which AskSebby may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. You don't have to use our links, but we're grateful when you do! View our Advertising Policy .The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of our partner offers may have expired.
American Express recently revamped the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express to offer competitive point multipliers when it comes to everyday purchases at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations, and on select transit expenses.
Is the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express worth the $95 annual fee (waived first year)?
Important Note: The Blue Cash Preferred earns cash back only in the form of a statement credit, and NOT Membership Rewards points.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Blue Cash Preferred® Card calculator
Ask Sebby crunches the numbers for you to calculate the Expected Value of the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express. For the expected value of cash back, we derive the approximate dollar value based on the numbers you enter in the calculator. Scroll down to the end of the post to see our methodology.
The calculator below contains default figures and serve as an example only. Users should insert their own data for the most accurate results.
Welcome Offer and Eligibility
American Express has a “once in a lifetime” welcome offer rule. To qualify for this offer, you must not currently have the card and/or have received a previous Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express welcome offer.
If you attempt to apply and you are greeted with a pop-up that says you aren’t eligible for the welcome offer, then you will not receive one.
The results from the above calculator are based on your ability to reach the minimum spend requirement to earn the welcome offer, your amount of spend on different categories, and how much relative value you assign to the other benefits.
The “Years” referenced in the calculator refer to the cardmember year, based on when you are approved for the card.
- Year 1 = first 12 months of card membership
- Year 2 = the following 12 months afterward
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Earn 6% cash back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions
- Earn 6% cash back at U.S. Supermarkets, up to $6,000 per year, then 1%
- Does NOT include superstores and warehouse clubs
- Earn 3% cash back on transit including rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses, and more
- Does NOT include airfare, car rentals, and cruises
- Earn 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations
- Does NOT include superstores, supermarkets, and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline
- Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Extended warranty program
- Purchase protection
- Free credit score
- Terms apply