After cycling through cheap pieces of luggage that get dented/ruined after a few trips, we embarked on a quest to find the "buy it for life" luggage.
If you know me, I'm a deal seeker. My usual go-to spots are Costco for a decent Samsonite luggage set or finding a bargain at Ross. My ideal price is under $100 for a carry-on, and under $150 for a full-size luggage. Unfortunately, the luggage usually gets tossed out after getting beat up from three or four international trips.
In our search for "buy it for life" luggage, we discovered Away Travel. Two Warby Parker alums decided to tackle the travel industry and created an affordable, phone-charging carry-on. Away Travel follows Warby Parker's business model by providing minimalist, high-quality products directly to the consumer at lower prices.
Away's mission is simple: get the more out of every trip to come, starting with the perfect suitcase. We bought the Carry-On to take for a test drive during our NYC trip. The Carry-On retails at $225, which is significantly more affordable than it's luxury counterparts at Tumi ($625) and Rimowa ($550).
- Outside: an impenetrable and scratch resistant shell that bends under pressure, but never breaks
- Two compartments: one for clothes, the other for harder objects like toiletries and shoes
- Built-in removable battery: 10,000 mAh that can charge any USB device
- Nylon laundry bag
- Compression pad to clear up free space
- TSA-approved lock: two zippers slot into a combination lock, so no one can get in except for you and TSA
- 4-wheels: premium Hinomoto wheels that rotate 360 degrees
Lifetime Limited Warranty
One of the perks that stood out from the competition is Away's lifetime limited warranty. If your Away luggage breaks, they'll repair it or send you a new one. Yes, you read that correctly. No one else in the industry offers a lifetime limited warranty, which makes Away luggage a steal.
The Away limited warranty covers the following defects:
- Cracks or breaks in the shell
- Wheels, handles, or telescoping handles that break off and are no longer usable
- Zippers that can no longer be opened or closed
Plus, each Away luggage comes with a 100-day trial. Try it and if you hate it, return it risk-free.
Interested in trying Away? Get $20 off your first Away luggage (referral link): http://bit.ly/2wvIDje
Promo automatically applied at checkout after you create an account.
Disclosure: This post contains referral links which we may be compensated for. Opinions are our own.