Have an Amex Platinum or Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card that you don’t want to keep long-term? Here’s how to keep your MR points active.
American Express offers a few charge cards like the Amex Platinum and the Amex Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) Card where you can earn unlimited Membership Reward (MR) points. The only con these cards is the annual fee that can range from $95–$550.
Here’s how to keep your Membership Reward points active before downgrading or canceling your charge card.
You can view credit card offers by going to the "Credit Card Offers" tab. Find offers for the respective cards in "Travel Rewards Credit Cards" and "Point Rewards Credit Cards." You don't have to use our links, but we're grateful when you do. Thank you for supporting AskSebby!
Cards that offer MR points
To keep your MR points, you must have an active MR earning card. Cards that qualify for MR points:
- Amex Green
- Amex PRG
- Amex Platinum (including all variations)
- Amex EveryDay Card
- Amex EveryDay Card Preferred
Options for canceling the Amex PRG or Amex Platinum
If you’re considering canceling your Amex PRG or Amex Platinum card, you have two options to keep your MR points alive:
1. Product change the card to an Amex Green card. The Amex Green card has a $95 annual fee and doesn’t come with any travel credits. There are also no additional perks compared to the Amex PRG or Amex Platinum.
- If you have the Amex Platinum, you can apply for an Amex PRG and earn a sign up bonus plus the annual $100 travel credit. If year 2 and beyond isn’t optimal, you can move the points to an Amex EveryDay card.
- Alternatively, if you have the Amex PRG, you can apply for an Amex Platinum card and earn a sign up bonus plus the annual $200 travel credit. Keep in mind that Amex only allows once in a lifetime sign up bonuses.
2. Apply for an Amex EveryDay card. The Amex EveryDay card has no annual fee and offers some of the same travel benefits as the Amex Platinum. Return protection and extended warranty are equivalent to the Amex Platinum level protection.
Important: You cannot downgrade to the EveryDay card because it’s a credit card and not a charge card.
Amex EveryDay Credit Card
- No annual fee
- Earns Membership Reward points
- Earn 2x points at U.S. supermarkets
- Earn 1x on all other purchases
- Earn 20% more points when you use your card 20 or more times on purchases in a billing period