Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. You don't have to use our links, but we're grateful when you do. Thanks for supporting the blog!
Amazon Prime Day is Amazon's version of Black Friday with hourly deals and flash sales. It officially takes place on July 11, 2017, but deals start on July 10 at 9 pm Eastern time.
If you've been meaning to try Amazon Prime, now is the perfect time to do it. Click here for a free 30-day trial of Amazon Prime. We don't recommend getting Amazon Prime just for Amazon Prime Day deals.
With Amazon Prime day, there are three different factors to consider:
- How to find great deals
- Which credit card to use to optimize spend
- Taking advantage of any specials available
How to find great deals
There are two strategies to find great deals:
- Download Amazon's mobile app. Surf Amazon while you're on the go and receive mobile notifications. Amazon also has a handful of app-only deals.
- Check Slick Deals often. Slick Deals has an army of people monitoring Amazon for the best deals, so you don't have to search for them yourself.
Another useful tool is Camel Camel Camel — it tracks the historical price of each Amazon listing so you can see if it's a good deal or not.
Which credit card to use to optimize spend
If you have an Amazon Prime credit card, this is a great opportunity to use it. For some deals, you can get up to 20% off if you use an Amazon credit card. As a reminder, only spend what you can pay off each month. Click here for details.
Don't have an Amazon credit card? We recommend using the Citi Double Cash card to get 2% cash back or the Chase Freedom Unlimited for 1.5% cash back. If you want to increase protections on a purchase (extended warranty or return protection), use a premium credit card.
Given the small window you have to make a purchase decision on Prime Day, using a credit card that has return protection in the event you can't return the item can be a good precaution.
Amex and Amazon are running a promotion to get $30 off $60 by using at least 1 MR point. This is an awesome deal because you don't have to be a Prime member to take advantage of it.
How to claim the $30 off $60 Offer:
- Direct link to offer
- Link your Amex Membership Rewards account with your Amazon.com account to enable Shop-with-Points.
- Add $60 or more of eligible products sold and shipped by Amazon to your shopping cart.
- Select the linked Amex MR points card or link a card now
- Pay for at least a portion of the order with MR points; you can use just 1 point and pay the rest with another method
- Enter the code AMEX17PRIME in the promo box on the checkout page
- $30 of savings will be reflected on the final order checkout page
Note: If you have a Blue Cash Everyday card, this deal does not apply to you because the card earns cash back, and not MR points.
Other deals and special promotions
- 4 months of Amazon Music Unlimited for $0.99. If you're already using a music streaming service, this is a significant discount compared to the competition.
- Get a $10 credit for your first re-order with Alexa. Ask Alexa to order an item of $10 or greater from your Amazon order history and get a $10 credit. Offer only applies to Prime members and if you have an Alexa.
- Get a $10 discount on your first order of Amazon Prime Now on July 11, and receive a $10 credit to use between 13-31. Use code 10PRIMEDAY.
- Prime Pantry — Through July 11, 2017, Prime members can save up to 35% off w/ coupons on select everyday items.
- Audible Gold Membership – Through July 11, 2017, new-to-Audible Prime members can join Audible for only $8.95/mo for the first 6 months, a savings of 40% or $36.
- Wedding Registry – From July 8 to July 11, 2017 (or while supplies last), Prime Members with an existing Amazon wedding registry can enjoy up to 43% off top brands like Delonghi, Black & Decker and OXO. Wedding Registry must be created by July 10, 2017. Check out the full list of deals and qualifying products here.
- Kindle Unlimited Membership – Through July 11, 2017, get 25% off a 6-month Kindle Unlimited membership, 33% off a 12-month Kindle Unlimited membership, or 40% off a 24-month Kindle Unlimited membership.
The most anticipated digital doorbusters: