The Discover It Miles card is a great beginner travel card because it earns 3% cash back in the first year with Discover Miles for Miles. When you use a referral link to apply, the referrer and the new member gets 5,000 miles ($50) statement credit.
Use our referral link to earn a $50 statement credit: http://bit.ly/discoveritmiles
- Annual fee: $0
- Earn unlimited 1.5x miles for every dollar spent on all purchases (3% back with Discover Match the first year)
- Year 1 has "Miles for Miles" (basically same thing as Cashback Match)
- Miles are worth 1 cents per points; 1,000 miles is $10 whether you:
- cash them out to your bank account
- use them to offset travel (airline, hotel, rental car, etc.) expenses
- No foreign transaction fees
- No blackout days for travel
- Rewards don't expire
- Sign up bonus: $50 when you use a referral link
- with "miles for miles" it's 10,000 miles ($100 in value)
Other benefits and protections
- Free FICO credit score: View your FICO credit score on monthly statements or online
- Freeze it: If you misplace your credit card, just log in to your Discover account and hit the off switch.
- $30 in-flight wi-fi credit: When you use your Discover it Miles card to purchase wi-fi on an aircraft, Discover will issue a statement credit up to a maximum of $30 each card anniversary year.
Return on Spend
In Year 1, you earn 1.5%, which comes out to be 3% return on spend with Miles for Miles. In year 2, it's only 1.5% return on spend. There are other cards that earn more than 1.5% like the Citi Double Cash card (2%).
After the first year, you can always product change the Discover it Miles card to a Discover It Cash Back card. Note: You will not receive the first year Cashback Match when you product change a card.
As a reminder, Discover limits cardmembers to having a total of two Discover cards.