The Discover It Miles card is a great beginner travel card because it earns 3% cash back in the first year with Discover Miles for Miles. When you use a referral link to apply, the referrer and the new member gets 5,000 miles ($50) statement credit.
Use our referral link to earn a $50 statement credit: http://bit.ly/discoveritmiles
- Annual fee: $0
- Earn unlimited 1.5x miles for every dollar spent on all purchases (3% back with Discover Match the first year)
- Year 1 has "Miles for Miles" (basically same thing as Cashback Match)
- Miles are worth 1 cents per points; 1,000 miles is $10 whether you:
- cash them out to your bank account
- use them to offset travel (airline, hotel, rental car, etc.) expenses
- No foreign transaction fees
- No blackout days for travel
- Rewards don't expire
- Sign up bonus: $50 when you use a referral link
- with "miles for miles" it's 10,000 miles ($100 in value)
Other benefits and protections
- Free FICO credit score: View your FICO credit score on monthly statements or online
- Freeze it: If you misplace your credit card, just log in to your Discover account and hit the off switch.
- $30 in-flight wi-fi credit: When you use your Discover it Miles card to purchase wi-fi on an aircraft, Discover will issue a statement credit up to a maximum of $30 each card anniversary year.
Return on Spend
In Year 1, you earn 1.5%, which comes out to be 3% return on spend with Miles for Miles. In year 2, it's only 1.5% return on spend. There are other cards that earn more than 1.5% like the Citi Double Cash card (2%).
After the first year, you can always product change the Discover it Miles card to a Discover It Cash Back card. Note: You will not receive the first year Cashback Match when you product change a card.
As a reminder, Discover limits cardmembers to having a total of two Discover cards.
Since merging the Marriott and SPG loyalty programs on August 18, Marriott recently updated their status match challenge. In the past, you could request a status match every year. With the program refresh, you can only request a status match every three calendar years.
The ideal time to start building your credit is when you’re a student because it will set you up for success in the long-term. Here’s an analysis of the best student credit cards on the market.
The Crystal Visa Infinite credit card by City National Bank is one of the few Visa Infinite cards on the market with access to the Visa Infinite Discount Travel Portal. Although the card has been on the market for a while, I haven’t reviewed it yet because it has a unique underwriting process, and there is not always a signup bonus available.
The cards in my wallet rotate each month depending on if there’s a new 5% cash back category or if I’m trying to hit the minimum spend on a new credit card. For the month of September, I have the Cash Card, Amex SPG Luxury card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, and my Costco card.
Best Western is a global budget-friendly hotel chain that has a status match program. If you have status at any other hotel loyalty program, you can status match to Best Western Elite.
The Discover It and Chase Freedom are cards that feature rotating 5X cash back categories each quarter you activate. Earn 5X on up to $1,500 in combined category purchases for each card.
Chase 5/24 has an unofficial rule that states that if you have opened 5 or more credit cards from ANY credit issuer in the past 24 months, you will not be eligible for select Chase cards. In the past year, Chase has added a handful of new cards, and application rules have also changed.
Increased bonuses of the month highlight keeper cards that have a higher than usual intro offer. This month features the IHG Rewards Club Premier, Amex Hilton Aspire, and the Amex SPG Business cards.
Priority Pass Select is a benefit that’s offered with select premium travel credit cards. Be aware that the benefit level may vary based on the credit cards you have.
If you're someone who flies JetBlue and is invested in their credit card ecosystem, there is a 2-card set up available to optimize for points. The Barclays JetBlue Plus + JetBlue Business 2-card setup is interesting because the 10% rebates stack, meaning you get a 20% rebate if you hold both cards.