Chase British Airways Credit Card
- Annual fee: $95
- Signup bonus: up to 75,000 Avios
- Earn 3 Avios per $1 spent on British Airways purchases
- Earn 1 Avios per $1 spent on everything else
- Spend more than $30,000 in one year and earn a Travel together ticket
- No foreign transaction fees
You can view credit card offers by going to the "Credit Card Offers" tab. Find offers for the respective cards in "Travel Rewards Credit Cards." You don't have to use our links, but we're grateful when you do. Thank you for supporting AskSebby!
The British Airways card earns 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. Plus earn an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $10,000 on purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Bonus tranche "A" = 50k Avios after $3,000 min spend (first 3 months)
- Bonus tranche "B" = 25k Avios after $10,000 total spend (first 12 months)
- $10,000 total = $7,000 additional spend given the $3,000 min spend
Earn 3 Avios per $1
Earn 3 Avios for every dollar spent on British Airways purchases. If you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, then it might not be optimal to use the British Airways card because you have the flexibility to use different airline partners with Ultimate Rewards points. You will still earn 3x on British Airways purchases with the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve = 3x Ultimate Reward points
- Chase British Airways = 3x Avios points
The benefit of UR though is that you can also:
- Transfer to other partners
- Redeem for travel at 1.5x CPP
- Cash out as a statement credit if necessary
Travel Together Ticket
Whenever you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways card, you will earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
Travel Together Tickets allow you to bring a companion in the same cabin, even first class (taxes, fees, and carrier charges apply). Redemptions can be used with cash or points. Learn more here: ba.com/TravelTogetherTicketOpens
For the first $3,000 of minimum spend within the first 3 months, you will earn 50,000 Avios. With Avios, the value of points is determined by how you plan on using them. Most people value Avios at 1.6 cents per point.
For example, if you use Avios in the United States, then Avios are worth 1 cents per point because you'll need to transfer points to American Airlines.
Another redemption is that if you buy a premium economy ticket from West to East Coast, you can buy a base fare ticket and use points to upgrade to business class and avoid extra fees.
My ideal redemption is using Avios to travel within Asia. There are still taxes and fees involved, but they tend to be more reasonable than traveling to Europe.