Card of the month is a monthly series that focuses on cards that have increased signup bonuses. This month, the Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express has an increased offer of 100,000 Hilton points. The offer expires on October 4, 2017.
- Annual fee: $75, not waived in Year 1
- Signup bonus: 100,000 Hilton points after $3,000 in spend within the first three months
- Additional bonus: Free weekend night after card anniversary
- Earn 12x for Hilton purchases
- Earn 6x for dining
- Earn 6x for gas stations
- Earn 6x for supermarkets
- Earn 3x for everything else
- Offer expires: 10/4/2017
Before signing up for a Hilton card, I encourage you to have a destination in mind and research how many points are required for a one night stay. 100,000 points may seem like a lot on the surface, but it might not get you as far as your like. Hilton points usually go further in international destinations like Europe.
Hilton points valuation
Hilton points are valued at 0.5 cents per point, which makes the points earning:
- Earn 12x for Hilton purchases = 6% return on spend
- Earn 6x for dining = 3%
- Earn 6x for gas stations = 3%
- Earn 6x for supermarkets = 3%
- Earn 3x for everything else = 1.5%
The Hilton Surpass comes with a handful of other benefits. The Priority Pass issued with the card is not on par with other travel credit cards; you'll have to pay for admission.
1) Free membership to Priority Pass (Standard Membership)
- must pay $27 per visit
- guests pay $27 per visit
- "technically" the Standard Membership is worth $99 (https://www.prioritypass.com/en/join/)
2) Hilton Gold Status
- Earn automatic Hilton Gold status just by having the card
- If you spend $40,000 on the card, you earn Diamond status for the year you hit the spend and the following year
- For example, if you hit $40,000 mid-2019, you'll get it until end of 2020
To get the optimal points redemption rate, be sure to compare the points price to the retail price by doing a quick Google search. Redemption value varies based on where you stay.
For example, the Kuala Lumpur Hilton Double Tree retails at $75-125/night. The points price is 10,000.
Cents per point:
$75/night = 0.75 CPP
$125/night = 1.25 CPP
Compared to the 0.5 CPP we assigned as a signup bonus, this would be a good redemption. With this specific redemption, the signup bonus is effectively worth $1,250 (100,000 points x 1.25 CPP = $1,250 in value).
$1,250 from the example - $500 assumed value = $750 difference
Again, be sure to research which locations will give you outsized value before using points.
Want to get the Southwest Companion Pass for 2018-2019? Here's when to apply and how to time the minimum spend requirements.
Is Bora Bora on your wishlist of places to visit in 2018? Costco Travel is having a deal for Bora Bora. Here's our analysis.
Want to get a $15-$20 gift card every time you dine at select restaurants? Here's our review of the Seated app.
A step-by-step guide on how to use transfer partners with Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Want to get free hotel upgrades and skip the check-in lines in Las Vegas? Here's how to status match your way to free upgrades.
Timberline Steaks & Grille at Denver International Airport was recently added to the Priority Pass restaurant network. Here's our review.
How much time should you spend researching credit cards and cash back? Here's our formula to calculate your ROI.
For Q4 2017, the Discover It 5x cash back categories are Amazon.com and Target. Here's how to get the maximum cash back.
Walmart and department stores are the Q4 5X categories for the Chase Freedom card. Here's the optimal strategy to earn maximum cash back.
Priority Pass recently added Timberline Steaks & Grille to their network of restaurants. Here's how to get a "free" steak the next time you visit Denver Airport.