A credit card that offers gas rewards is a good addition to your wallet if you drive often. The goal would be to get at least 5x points or cash back on all your gas transactions.
Ducks Unlimited Credit Card
- Annual fee: $0
- Earn 5% cash back on gas purchases
- 5% cash back on sporting goods stores
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Direct link to card (not affiliate): https://www.firstbankcard.com/ducksunlimited/landingpage/visaplat/
The Ducks Unlimited card is ideal for those who drive for a living and spend more than $1,500/year on gas; otherwise, it might be better to go with a 5% category card instead.
If you don't think that 5% cash back is worth getting a card, here's a breakdown if you spend $20,000 on gas per year.
- Per Month: 5% * $20,000 gas spend = $1,000 cash back
- Per Year: 5% * $20,000 * 12 months = $12,000
You can view credit card offers by going to the "Credit Card Offers" tab. Find offers for the respective cards in "Cash Back Credit Cards." You don't have to use our links, but we're grateful when you do. Thank you for supporting AskSebby!
5% Rotating Category Credit Cards
5% Rotating category cards like the Chase Freedom and Discover It cards are the best options for most people. Earn 5x points on each quarter you activate. You will only earn 5x back on up to $1,500 in combined category purchases each quarter.
For Q3 2018, one of the 5x categories for the Chase Freedom is gas. You can earn up 5x back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter you activate. The Chase Freedom earns Ultimate Rewards points, so if you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or a Chase Ink Preferred, you can get more value from the Chase Travel Portal.
Cash Back (Freedom by itself)
- 1 Cents per point (CPP) * 5x = 5% Return on spend (ROS)
Chase Travel Portal
- CSP/CIP = 1.25 CPP * 5x = 6.25% ROS
- CSR = 1.5 CPP * 5x = 7.5% ROS
Transfer Partners (CSP/CIP/CSR)
- Target = 2 CPP * 5x = 10%
The optimal strategy would be to buy gas gift cards at your gas station to maximize the category and stock up for the year.
If you're in the first year of your Discover It card, the 5% cash back becomes 10% with first year Cashback Match.
Uber Visa Debit Card from Go Bank
- Annual fee: $0
- For active Uber drivers only
- Earn 3% cash back at Exxon and Mobil when you use your PIN at the pump
- 1.5% cash back at all other gas stations
- 2% cash back at Walmart, online and in-store
- 8% cash back at Sprint
- 15% discount at Jiffy Lube
- 10% cash back at Advance Auto Parts
- Direct link to offer (not affiliate): https://www.uber.com/u/uberdebit-gobank/
The Uber Visa Debit Card from Go Bank is available exclusively to active Uber drivers only. The card is a decent option if you fill up at Exxon and Mobil and want unlimited 3% cash back; otherwise, you might be better off with a 5% rotating category card.