Wells Fargo is currently running a promotion for a business checking account. If you have a side hustle (tutoring, computer repairs, freelance, etc.) under your name, then you have a sole proprietorship. As long as your name is in the business name, i.e., Sebastian Fung Tutoring, then you can apply for a business account.
The requirements are surprisingly low to receive the offer, and it's supposed to expire on Dec 31, 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the offer earlier.
- Signup bonus: $300
- Requirements: Deposit $500 within the first 60 days of opening the account
- $25 minimum deposit at time of opening
- Hard/soft pull: Soft pull
- No early termination fees
- Expires: 12/31/2017
- Direct link to offer: https://bonusoffer.wf.com/bizchoiceoffer17/
Visit the offer site to generate an offer code. After that, go in-branch to apply with your unique code and $25+ deposit. The bonus will be paid out 45 days after the requirements are met.
There is a monthly service fee of $14, but you can get it waived by having 10+ debit card transactions each month.
- Wells Fargo Business Choice or Platinum Business Checking account are the eligible accounts for this offer.
- Unique offer code can only be used once.
- Provide one-time, unique bonus offer code to banker at account opening.
You cannot be:
- A current owner on a business checking account
- A Wells Fargo team member
- The recipient of a business checking bonus in the past 12 months (Limit one bonus per customer)
The offer is a no-brainer to me, as long as you're comfortable opening a Wells Fargo account. I think the overall risk is relatively low because of their past actions and pending lawsuits.